Skip to main content

Seder Meal

At the very beginning of Lent, Anna and I were going over her religion lesson, when I noticed that they had an outline for a children's Seder Meal. Growing up, our parish always had a Seder Meal during Lent. I have fond memories of the school gym lined with tables, each with a lamb cake as a centerpiece, and all the families gathered together. I was picturing all this in my mind as I asked the kids if they would like to do this activity. Then, I thought, why not ask our group of homeschool families if they would like to join us? And so I did. And so yesterday four families gathered at our house to celebrate a Seder meal. Four moms and twenty children.....

Anna volunteered to play the role of the mother. She lights the candles at the beginning of the Meal. The religion book called for her to wear a shawl and a necklace. The Hawaiian lei was the only play necklace I could find in the dress-up bin.

One of the older boys volunteered for the big role of the father. He led most of the celebration. The directions called for him to wear a yarmulke and a necktie. I had Tony pre-tie the tie before leaving for work, since I do not know how. The yarmulke I crocheted the night before, using up a bit of leftover yarn.

You are to fill the "wine glasses" four times. I thought it safer to use paper cups. I learned by the third glass that they really aren't meant to be reused. They were becoming quite soggy and hard to hold.

Not sure how much she learned, but she is pure cuteness.

Another friend volunteered to read the four questions that the child is supposed to ask the father.

The little ones were quietly playing during our Seder Meal.

Looking solemn




Yet another volunteer reading the Psalms.

More matzah, anyone?

The sheep looks like he is popping by to say "hello".

Raising those soggy cups for one more blessing.

Jack reading a Psalm.
A special thank you to my friend Aimee for taking all the pictures of our Seder Meal celebration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Door Table

Once there was a store in Georgia. It is no more, but how I wish it was. I likened going in there to treasure hunting. One never knew what was going to be in there, and you had to dig through and wade through all the "other people's treasures" to find your own. I once found a set of blue and white teacups and saucers from England. I found lace handkerchiefs, a rocking chair, and an end table. But by far the best find was my kitchen table. I had stopped by one day while the kids were taking horseback lessons and the then little ones were asleep. The store was not open, but I went up to the window to see if anything new was there. And it was there. The table. And six chairs too! We were in need of a bigger table with Jack on the way. My mom had offered to give us her old one, which I was going to accept if I didn't find something I liked better. I didn't want anyone else to even see the table because I knew it was supposed to be ours, but one can never tell abo

Fog and faith

 I stepped out into the coolness of the November morning to start the car and defog the windows, preparing to take Jack to school. Daylight had yet to appear. As we drove the many miles, the sky lightened, and we could see the mist hanging out just above the grass. We usually listen to a story together on our drive, adding commentary, exchanging a knowing glance or a shocked expression as the twists and turns unfold. I relish this time with Jack. I know that all too soon he will be preparing to leave the nest, like his sisters before him.  On the drive back, I pull my rosary from my purse and pray. By this time, the sun is just about to appear, making the sky a beautiful orange-pink on the horizon. I am pondering much as I pray, for the path I am on is once again rocky and uncertain. Such is life, whether we have faith or not. Faith makes it bearable. For the most part, the road home is a straight shot and I can see the ribbon of road laid out before me, narrowing in the distance. The

A Tale of a Tail (or the excitement of the day)

 First of all, I doubt anyone still checks this little old neglected blog, so I am probably talking to myself right now. But if by chance, there is still someone out there, I will tell the tale of the tail I came to tell. As little boys are apt to do, Peter left his rainboots outside on the front porch several days ago. As they do not add to the decor on the porch, I decided to bring them inside this morning and I put them by the back door, where they belong. There they sat, until the mail truck came by and tucked our mail into the box. I may or may not have mentioned that our property is surrounded by a moat during the rainy days. There is no going to collect the mail without rain boots. Seeing how Peter was supposed to be doing his math lesson, of course he eagerly volunteered to go get the mail. He hopped up from the table and went to put on his boots. The scream that came from him made me leave my seat! I thought he had hurt himself. He claimed there was a roach in his boot. I pick