Skip to main content

Rainy Days

It has been raining steadily for about 48 hours now. No heavy downpours, just a steady, drizzling, cold rain with the sky varying in shades of white and gray. It is July, and the high temperature yesterday was only 56. It most certainly does not feel like the middle of summer!

On days like this, I seem to get to pondering things and so I think I will just let these tumble out onto the screen as they come to me.

Tony was gone for five days to Latvia and he returned home on Monday. It seems that he will be taking these short trips fairly frequently. I find it hard to adapt to a different schedule for only a few days and then try to return to our 'normal' life over and over. When he is gone, I find I don't feel like cooking full meals even though there is only one less person. We 'snack' for meals, simple things like apples, crackers, salami, and pickles. I end up with more kids in bed with me during the night, even those that don't normally show up. It is good to have him home, I feel safe and settled.

These rainy summer days have brought back memories of childhood summers at my grandparent's house. There is no air conditioning over here, just as it was at Grams' and Grandad's. There were box fans in the windows during the day and the windows were left open at night. I can remember half waking up to see my grandmother quietly closing the windows just as I was recognizing the fact that I was chilled. The windows are open here too, and the outside sounds find their way to my ears as I fall to sleep. Little birds chirping away. The sound of tires on wet pavement. The rain on the roof. I used to love sitting outside under a porch or an umbrella on rainy days like this.

I battle to stay upbeat on days like this. I found out a couple months ago that my vitamin D levels were extremely low. The doctor prescribed a mega-dose of vitamin D once a week for 12 weeks. I am honestly not seeing any difference in my mood. I know it is not as sunny here, but I wonder why my levels plummeted so quickly. Of course, we are also approaching another year of not having Ben with us here.

I signed Anna and myself up for a writing class on Brave Writer. We are taking the basic class. I have been very negligent in writing assignments this year. We have stayed on top of math and reading, but writing got sidelined during all the upheavals of the move to Germany. I knew I needed something to keep me accountable and not lose steam. The cost of the class should keep my motivation strong! This is the first week of a six week course, so I will let you know how we liked it when we finish.

I also tried to sign the kids up for swim lessons before we take a trip to the beach, but it has proved to be less than simple. No one at the pool seems to know what is going on. We are not allowed to sign up for classes until tomorrow because people that have already taken a class previously have priority. Plus, they have to give Anna an assessment to see which class she belongs in, yet no one can tell me when the person who does this will be available. They also failed to mention when I was there yesterday that we could not sign up until we filled out a liability release. Organized? I think not!

Lastly, my dad is currently undergoing chemotherapy, so if you would be so kind as to offer up a prayer for him, it would be most appreciated!

Comments

  1. My Vit D dropped about a year ago. I was on a once weekly mega dose for 12 weeks. The next time my doctor checked my levels (about six months after the first) they were, again, really low. Another 12 weeks of mega dose and I also take 100O iu every day (well, most days). I get quite a bit of exposure to the sun during the summer, without sunscreen -- certainly the required 15 minutes (but then Columbus is a pretty cloudy place), and I also drink Vit D milk. I think my adrenal gland is drained from pain and stress, but no doctor wants to talk about that. I don't think they know much about the body as a whole, even though I don't find it hard to find documents online. I'm also on thyroid medication, which, along with being Vit D deficient, seems to be almost standard among women our age these days. Just make sure you get checked again in six months or so. And as for the low days, I am right there with you. I wish I knew what caused it. I still do the things I want, but I find it hard dragging my behind around all day!

    Prayers for your dad. I hope he has a most successful course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vitamin D levels are also extremely low and I am on a high dose of therapy. The doctors still can't figure out why my labs are so abnormal on so many levels. I just wish they would come up with a diagnosis. It has been over a year! But nope, more labs in six to eight weeks. I hope you have more luck with yours. Prayers for your dad, he is a strong man. And because I know exactly how difficult it is to be far away, prayers to you also. I'm here if you need to talk, write, whatever. Low you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Door Table

Once there was a store in Georgia. It is no more, but how I wish it was. I likened going in there to treasure hunting. One never knew what was going to be in there, and you had to dig through and wade through all the "other people's treasures" to find your own. I once found a set of blue and white teacups and saucers from England. I found lace handkerchiefs, a rocking chair, and an end table. But by far the best find was my kitchen table. I had stopped by one day while the kids were taking horseback lessons and the then little ones were asleep. The store was not open, but I went up to the window to see if anything new was there. And it was there. The table. And six chairs too! We were in need of a bigger table with Jack on the way. My mom had offered to give us her old one, which I was going to accept if I didn't find something I liked better. I didn't want anyone else to even see the table because I knew it was supposed to be ours, but one can never tell abo

Fog and faith

 I stepped out into the coolness of the November morning to start the car and defog the windows, preparing to take Jack to school. Daylight had yet to appear. As we drove the many miles, the sky lightened, and we could see the mist hanging out just above the grass. We usually listen to a story together on our drive, adding commentary, exchanging a knowing glance or a shocked expression as the twists and turns unfold. I relish this time with Jack. I know that all too soon he will be preparing to leave the nest, like his sisters before him.  On the drive back, I pull my rosary from my purse and pray. By this time, the sun is just about to appear, making the sky a beautiful orange-pink on the horizon. I am pondering much as I pray, for the path I am on is once again rocky and uncertain. Such is life, whether we have faith or not. Faith makes it bearable. For the most part, the road home is a straight shot and I can see the ribbon of road laid out before me, narrowing in the distance. The

A Tale of a Tail (or the excitement of the day)

 First of all, I doubt anyone still checks this little old neglected blog, so I am probably talking to myself right now. But if by chance, there is still someone out there, I will tell the tale of the tail I came to tell. As little boys are apt to do, Peter left his rainboots outside on the front porch several days ago. As they do not add to the decor on the porch, I decided to bring them inside this morning and I put them by the back door, where they belong. There they sat, until the mail truck came by and tucked our mail into the box. I may or may not have mentioned that our property is surrounded by a moat during the rainy days. There is no going to collect the mail without rain boots. Seeing how Peter was supposed to be doing his math lesson, of course he eagerly volunteered to go get the mail. He hopped up from the table and went to put on his boots. The scream that came from him made me leave my seat! I thought he had hurt himself. He claimed there was a roach in his boot. I pick