Skip to main content

Yarn Along

Today is the feast day of Saint Rita. She is the patron saint of impossible cases. Why, you might ask, would I mention that little fact in a yarn along post? Well, my friends, I have a partially finished baby blanket and the recipient's due date was, um, yesterday! If I knit continuously for the next 3 days, I might be able to complete it, but that just isn't going to happen. I know my friend is a patient soul, not to mention just an incredible person and I am blessed, blessed I tell you, to call her my friend, so just maybe it will be all right if it is a little late.

I also mention Saint Rita because there are so many other impossible cases in my life right now. I won't go and list them, it would not be a good idea to look at a list like that. Just say a little prayer if you are the praying kind of person, will you? I know I will be petitioning good St. Rita daily.


I have the body of the blanket complete. Now I am making the border, which is worked in the round. I currently have close to 500 stitches on my needles. One round takes quite some time, especially the one I am on right now, since it involves using a cable needle.

Reading has been light, both in content and amount. Therese is currently loving the Frances stories, which is fine by me, because I love them too.

I also have a funny reading moment with Jack that I want to write down so I won't forget it.

In his reader, the story was talking about shopping. The mom bought a ham. The dad bought a hat. The child wanted to buy a pup. At this point, Jack looks at me and says in a shocked voice, "They are going to let him have a dog?" Then he reads the next line which said "No, you may not have a pup." Jack giggles and turns to me, "I knew it!" Then the next child wants a pig. Jack is laughing out loud at this point in the story and says, "Oh. They'll never let him have that!"

Not every story goes like that with Jack, but I sure do appreciate it when it does. He has become a reader, which is always a great accomplishment for both teacher and student!

Joining Ginny, as always.


Comments

  1. Stopping in from Ginny's blog. I have been praying the Novena to St Rita. She is a favorite of mine! I wrote a little about my love for her last week on my blog. I will definitely add your private intentions to my list of petitions to her today.
    I love the pink yarn. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. saying a tiny prayer for you. I bet that blanket will be off the needles very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable story!! I love it. That is so cute. And you know that people who receive homemade gifts do not complain if they are "late". No handmade gift is ever late. It is always perfectly on time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I always enjoy every new "accomplishment" with homeschooling, seeing them go from "learning" to read to actually reading is my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Door Table

Once there was a store in Georgia. It is no more, but how I wish it was. I likened going in there to treasure hunting. One never knew what was going to be in there, and you had to dig through and wade through all the "other people's treasures" to find your own. I once found a set of blue and white teacups and saucers from England. I found lace handkerchiefs, a rocking chair, and an end table. But by far the best find was my kitchen table. I had stopped by one day while the kids were taking horseback lessons and the then little ones were asleep. The store was not open, but I went up to the window to see if anything new was there. And it was there. The table. And six chairs too! We were in need of a bigger table with Jack on the way. My mom had offered to give us her old one, which I was going to accept if I didn't find something I liked better. I didn't want anyone else to even see the table because I knew it was supposed to be ours, but one can never tell abo

Fog and faith

 I stepped out into the coolness of the November morning to start the car and defog the windows, preparing to take Jack to school. Daylight had yet to appear. As we drove the many miles, the sky lightened, and we could see the mist hanging out just above the grass. We usually listen to a story together on our drive, adding commentary, exchanging a knowing glance or a shocked expression as the twists and turns unfold. I relish this time with Jack. I know that all too soon he will be preparing to leave the nest, like his sisters before him.  On the drive back, I pull my rosary from my purse and pray. By this time, the sun is just about to appear, making the sky a beautiful orange-pink on the horizon. I am pondering much as I pray, for the path I am on is once again rocky and uncertain. Such is life, whether we have faith or not. Faith makes it bearable. For the most part, the road home is a straight shot and I can see the ribbon of road laid out before me, narrowing in the distance. The

A Tale of a Tail (or the excitement of the day)

 First of all, I doubt anyone still checks this little old neglected blog, so I am probably talking to myself right now. But if by chance, there is still someone out there, I will tell the tale of the tail I came to tell. As little boys are apt to do, Peter left his rainboots outside on the front porch several days ago. As they do not add to the decor on the porch, I decided to bring them inside this morning and I put them by the back door, where they belong. There they sat, until the mail truck came by and tucked our mail into the box. I may or may not have mentioned that our property is surrounded by a moat during the rainy days. There is no going to collect the mail without rain boots. Seeing how Peter was supposed to be doing his math lesson, of course he eagerly volunteered to go get the mail. He hopped up from the table and went to put on his boots. The scream that came from him made me leave my seat! I thought he had hurt himself. He claimed there was a roach in his boot. I pick